I talk a lot about shocking. I have used it to cure so many problems — it’s kind of like rebooting a computer in that it fixes most of what’s wrong.
There are different kinds of pool shock that you can use in your swimming pool, but I would always recommend pre-dissolving the chemical before adding it to your pool, especially if you have a liner.
The shock I commonly refer to is calcium hypochlorite shock, which has a high amount of unstabilized chlorine. It’s hard to dissolve and you need to wait eight hours after treatment before swimming. There are other types of shock too, including: non-chlorine shock, quick-dissolve shock, lithium shock, bromine shock and di-chlor.
There is nothing wrong with these other types of shock, but in my opinion if you have a chlorine pool, you should shock with calcium hypochlorite shock once a week. It will increase the level of chlorine (temporarily), kill any bacteria or unwanted microbes, and oxidize the used chlorine that’s in your water. It’s your swimming pool’s reset button, chemically speaking.
Here’s a video I put together on pool shocking: