On February 1, 2023, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) announced the release of the 2023 Model Athletic Health Code (MAHC) 4th edition, which includes two documents:
- Code: model code guidance that aims to prevent illness and injury associated with public aquatic venues through venue design, construction, operation and management.
- Annex: the scientific and best practices rationale on which the model code language is based.
U.S. local, state, territorial and tribal officials can voluntarily use the MAHC to help reduce risk of pathogen transmission and injuries (including drowning) associated with public pools, hot tubs or splash pads.
The 2023 MAHC includes important updates to help prevent:
- Pathogen transmission:
- Making cyanuric acid to DPD (N,N Diethyl-1,4 phenylenediamine sulfate)-free chlorine concentration ratio greater than 45:1 a closure item.
- Decreasing minimum pH to 7.0.
- Drowning: establishing a maximum vertical clearance at the bottom of an aquatic venue or facility enclosure (no more than 2 inches above non-solid grade and no more than 4 inches above solid grade).
- Spinal cord injuries: increasing the minimum water depth to 6 feet for new construction of starting platforms.
Read the full edition here.